Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Deciding to blog

A blog?? My personal information on the internet?? Uh… I’m not so sure about that.

I’ve always been a rather private person. After a childhood of general “shyness,” I grew up to be a guarded and private adult. Even in the most public of settings and social situations, I’ve always been more prone to sit back, observe, and listen those around me than I am to interrupt a conversation and say “ohhh, pay attention to me! Check out my story!” That’s just the approach I prefer. After all, I find other people to be much more interesting than I am – I KNOW my own story, tell me something new!

I know a few people whose lives are an open book – who freely share intimate details with even casual acquaintances. I am NOT that type of person. So, the decision to take my story to the web was not an easy one to make. I’ve been on social networking websites since they first hit the scene years ago, and for the longest time, I used an alias and never even posted a photo of myself. For years, my avatar or profile picture has been of a cartoon: Brian the dog from Family Guy. So, it’s quite a leap of faith for me to choose to reveal my personal thoughts and stories in a public space. But I’m glad I reached this decision. In the weeks and months ahead, the blog will be my best opportunity to actually “be myself” and spend time with my people. So, here we go…

7 comments:

  1. Brian,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about your experiences -- I regret that I did not know what agony you have been going through for so long with the misinformation and countless delays in getting answers you could trust. You have such an incredibly professional demeanor and amazing commitment to your job--I simply did not realize the stress you were experiencing. I want you to know that, even before I read your blog, your experience with inept doctors inspired me to change to a new primary care doctor who is more proactive than my last one. I know that your story and your willingness to share your experience will help a lot of other people as well. AD
    p.s. You are a great writer--that comes through so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian-

    You are definitely an inspiration. All of here at UofL have only you on our mind today. We are sending you are very best vibes for a speedy recovery. You seem to have courage already in abundance, but we will keep trying to bolster you in any way we can.

    Btw, you are a pretty humble (and ornery--that's why we love ya:-)) dude. It takes great fortitude for a private person like yourself to share your life and your struggle with those who care about you. There are alot of us out here and we really appreciate you letting us be a part.

    Peace. Out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian - like everything else about you - you are a Fabulous Writer! What a wonderful gift to have this blog - not only for us "out of state family members" - but for those who could potentially have the same symptoms and whose lives you may be saving. You're precious to all of us (especially us Aunties - Joan & Norma) - so we'll keep those prayers flowing and hope to hear your miraculous updates soon! LOVE from Your Southern Fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kick that cancers ass!! We are all here for you with love and prayers. Get well soon. Love ya cus.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brian,

    For all of us who have been struggling, hurting and praying....wondering how we might be able to somehow help, how we might bring comfort.....

    You, Brian.....through the gift of your amazing writing....magically bring comfort to us.

    I think it's because, now, we feel that we are somehow bonded together. Bonded together to fight this terrible disease.

    You show us how to be strong and courageous - sharing your fears, uncertainty and frustrations.

    Our hope is that the comfort you have given us channels its way back to you....filled with the strenght and courage of all who love you, of all who are bonded together to battle with you. Be STRONG Brian.

    With Love,
    Pat, Gerry and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian, with a mom & dad like yours, determination, hunger for knowledge and prayers of many, you will beat this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Brian: We are sending you the very best wishes for a solid recovery. Your writing is clear, strong and inspiring. Your perseverence and your intelligence will always stand you in good stead. The prayers and hopes of all your family, friends, neighbors will buoy you in the days to come. All of us on Lowell Avenue send you the very best. Love, Owen & Bunky

    ReplyDelete