Monday, April 6, 2009

Mondday, April 6th
Just returned from my afternoon visit with Brian and I continue to be amazed and encouraged by his progress. His NG tube (tube pumping fluids out of his stomach) was removed. It actually came out in his sleep last night, but docs say as long as he does not feel nauseous or sick, they will leave it out (it's just like Brian to find a way to take matters into his own hands to speed up progress). It was nice to see his face without any tubes attached. They gave him a blood transfusion while I was there today because his hemoglobin levels were down, but the nurses told me that was normal after major surgeries. Docs continue to manage his pain and he seems more comfortable. We are hoping that tomorrow they will start feeding him from the feeding tube that is going directly into his stomach. Keep thinking positive thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us posted. The weirdest thing happened today. I opened my web browser and your blog and the song, "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty came on. The lyrics were so perfect that I thought you all had somehow added music to your page. What had happened is that my Pandora page had come up simultaneously and the song came on with perfect timing. Either way, it was awesome to hear. Here are the lyrics:

    Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
    You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down

    Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
    And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
    Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

    Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
    Hey I will stand my ground
    And I won't back down.

    Well I know what's right, I got just one life
    In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
    But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

    Hey baby there ain't no easy way out
    Hey I will stand my ground
    And I won't back down
    No, I won't back down
    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/tom+petty/i+wont+back+down_20138493.html

    Pretty cool, eh? --Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad for the txt msg this afternoon. I was sitting in Union Station in Chicago waiting to board my train when I got it. I just made me smile all the way back to Macomb. Stay in touch, buddy. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Brian,
    We are glad that you are home and hope you feel better soon. Sis say "hi" and hope that you can play Wii with us when we visit Louisville. Love, - Nicholas and Nathan

    Hey Brian: The boys wanted to write you something to wish you well. You are never far from our thoughts and prayers. Take Care, - Amanda and Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey brian and Bethany-
    I wanted to let you know you are both in my thoughts and prayers daily-- you are both so strong and it seems like brian is receiving the best care possible :)
    Thanks to Bethany and Karen for looking after you, I know they r both too mean to let anything happen to one of their own!!!
    Feel better , brian
    -jessica higgins

    ReplyDelete